Friday, April 13, 2007

Remembering my Lolo

(written at Forest Lawn on the grass)

It’s been exactly one year since my Lolo died. I can remember it like it was yesterday, him picking me up at the back of the student union at Cal Poly in my high school days in his yellow car. I remember him getting into a car accident when we were on our way to school once. I remember him trying to whistle unsuccessfully until he chipped his tooth. Then he was able to whistle. I remember his cancer surgeries and us praying for his salvation and healing. I remember reading him the Scriptural passages that were pregnant with the gospel when he was sick, and he would translate and explain the gospel to me and then I would explain it back to him to clarify it. I remember thinking that he may not have understood the gospel in a saving way, but trusting God’s wisdom, goodness, and justice as Lolo professed faith in our Lord Jesus. I remembered that Grama and him would not sleep in the same bed, which was always strange to me. I remember walking with Lolo to the supermarket when we lived at the house on Arline Street. I remember Lolo wanted to fight me one time because Yek and I were cheering during a basketball game and he was startled by our cheers. I remember that Lolo did not know his anniversary date or his birth year. Or at least he never seemed sure. I remember Lolo spilling vinegar in his car when he was driving, then he reached down to pick it up, and then crashed his car into a tree in our neighborhood. Then he repainted the section yellow, but it was a different shade of yellow. Then he painted it with another two shades because he ran out of the first yellow paint. I remember him letting me drive. I remember him never turning the car radio on while the car was running because he wanted to save battery. I remember him saying to Jeff, Yek and I, as we were leaving to VBS, “Let’s go!” only to go in reverse when we all thought we were going to be moving forward. I remember him telling me to only give 1 dollar to the offering at church. I remember him telling me countless jokes and making the youth at our church laugh. I remember the “peace man” symbols he used to throw up in the most creative ways. I remember him fearing death, yet in some ways wanting to die already. I remember him not taking baths daily, but weekly. I remember arguing with my brother as to who was to cut his hair because we did not want to touch his hair. I remember his smile. I remember his love for Rachel, my cousin. I remember how he bought Faye a typewriter while she was in high school. I remember his love for boxing. I remember that he didn’t go to my wedding. I remember the countless times we prayed for his salvation. I remember him sick when Elijah was born, and waiting for him to come home so that we can show him his first great grandson. He did see him, but only a picture of him on a cell phone. I forgot what Lolo said about him.

I learned a lot from the Lord through my Lolo. I learned to laugh and joke in distinct ways. I learned to serve my family in whatever ways are useful. I learned to save money. I learned that staying with your family is important and a non-negotiable, divorce is not an option no matter which direction a marriage may turn. I learned to be friends with my wife and laugh a lot with her, he and Grama did enjoy each other in a “friendship” type of way. I learned that sharing the gospel with family members needs to be intentional and consistent and frequent, without being overbearing or rude. I think I could’ve turned a lot more conversations to conversations about Christ.

I wonder what Lolo’s doing right now. I do hope that he’s in the intermediate heaven, preparing up there with the rest of the saints for Christ’s return while at the same time celebrating Christ and communing with him up there in the intermediate heaven. If he is up there, it will only be because of his faith in Christ’s redemptive work as the grounds for his salvation and justification. Sometimes I wonder how well he understood that. I wish he could see Elijah and the joy he brings to our family. I wonder if God allowed him to see Elijah. That would be sweet. I want to live my life on earth with vigor and passion for God and Christ’s glory, because as I sit here in the cemetery I’m reminded of how short life is. Time flies. I remember when Lolo first came to the U.S. when I was in jr. high. I was so happy that he was here. And now he’s gone. Just like that. I knew him for about 14 years and flew by so fast. Life is a vapor as God says, so I better anchor my thoughts, hopes, and plans in Christ and in eternity.

Thank you Lolo, for reminding me of this. Enjoy Christ, and if the Lord wills, I’ll see you soon.

No comments: