Thursday, April 12, 2007

Elijah's Birthday Party & A Letter

Rock’s 1st birthday party was full of fun. A great time engaging with friends and family. It was nice preparing and planning his party. I was all over the place… At least I felt like it! I was nervous that I’d forget something last minute, but praise God it all worked out fine : ) A highlight of the party, were the kid games. Those kids were hilarious! Kenneth had me laughing, and Jude was adorable. We had a good amount of people show up. We expected 120-150 people. My former coworkers Mark, Norma, and Rose dropped by. My old high school friend, Marie Silva was suppose to stop by, but didn’t.

I can’t believe my baby is gonna be one…time flies. I made a slide show of him from his birth, and up until now, and I can’t believe how much he has changed. His little features are so different already! My biggest battle (so far) has been, remembering he is a “loaner” and he is ultimately God’s and he is not MINE to keep. Another big battle for me has been anxiousness (it has gotten a lot better-praise God), being anxious if something happened to Elijah. My final thought regarding the party, was no more parties…EVER! I was thinking I should do one every 5th. I had a good time but I was exhausted…I’m still recuperating : )

My biggest blessing- my 4 sisters hanging out and talking, this rarely happens.

PJ and I were suppose to speak before the cake cutting, but I decided not to (I didn’t have time to prepare). I would like to read Elijah a letter, poem, or tell him how he has been a blessing, every birthday, this could be a Tibayan tradition!

This is my letter to Elijah–

Dear Son,

You are cute and cuddly and I want to hug you and kiss you all day long! This wouldn't be a problem: ) Happy birthday! I'm amazed at how you have grown up so fast. I still remember the day they put you in my arms and said, “it’s a boy.” The joy that overwhelmed me was absolutely amazing. All the sleeplessness nights, crying, fatigue, lack of eating, bloatedness, pain, physical pain, the hospital stay, gaining 25-30Ibs., the hard to breathe stages, the endless twinkles, the eternal morning sickness, the startling kicks at work, the endless fat jokes, etc. I really could go on, and on. But these symptoms, or complaints never have or will measure up to the satisfaction and joy of caring for you this past year and the 9 months prior. It has been a true joy and an honor that the good Lord would give such a privilege to such a sinner like me. I have not acted deserving of this but I thank God for being so gracious.

He has taught me and shown me much sin in my life, and as marriage has been, owning you for now, has been sanctifying! I have learned patience, kindness, love, gratitude, accepting the unexpected, how to care for someone so helpless, trusting God, and multi-tasking. One of the biggest lessons, I’ve learned and still learning, is the reality that you are a “loaner” you do not ultimately belong to me, nor I to you. God cares for you and I, and being happy and satisfied in that truth should bring comfort to me. I must admit, I was paranoid for awhile. I would often be anxious of the day, and the endless possibilities of what harm could come to you, but having a gracious Father, he often rebuked me and reminded me, he knows best, even if that meant harm. So now I'm striving to believe and trust God’s promises, and lean on his understanding, not mine. Nothing has happened to you, but I pray if it does, that God will allow me to cling to the waterfall of grace, and seek him for comfort and be happy in him. Yes, I’m sure there will be pain, but I ask God that he will comfort me, with the comfort that no one can explain. Your life is just beginning, and I pray that I can help you grow into a man that fears and is satisfied with Jesus Christ. You are a loaner, as Piper says “our children are not our cause; they are given to us to train for a cause. They are given to us for a short season so that we can train them for the great causes of truth and mercy and justice in a prejudiced, pain-filled, and perishing world” (1)

For memory sake
-Party theme: safari
-Colors: red, yellow, orange, green and white
-his birthday party was on 4/7/07
-food: Juan Pollo, and carnitas from La Flor De Mexico

1 Piper John, “A Call for Coronary Christians,” in Life As A Vapor: Thirty-one meditations for your faith, p.63

No comments: