By Frances
Not a curse but a gift.
Piper wrote an article called “Don’t Waste Your Cancer” when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. It is sort of a spin off his book, “Don’t Waste Your Life” and really his view of life and how Jesus is so absolutely vital to ones life.
I can’t remember the date, but I was expecting my mother to call me with the results. She did. I felt like it would be bad news. The phone rang, I answered, and she spoke. She said that the doctor found cancer…again. She had cancer back in 2003 or 2004. Her voice was shaky, she said several things, and then she said “I need you…” even as I write these my eyes tear up. She said she needed my encouragement and for me to point her to God. I love her dearly. I directed her to God by referring to Psalms 73, and asked if she could read it. I explained the context of the text, how the psalmist expresses his feelings of seeing the reality of the wicked prospering and the righteous suffering. We hung up, and I cried. I felt guilty. The previous cancer I had recommended to her that she don’t do a mastectomy because often times it is not needed. I studied this in my biology class in school, at the time I was getting my degree in Biological Science. My mom listens to my advice a lot, so I felt it was my fault she had a recurrence because of my recommendation. I felt awful. I called PJ, and told him the news; he heard my pain and rushed home.
It’s been about 4 months, and she has had a mastectomy, and is undergoing chemotherapy. The side effects of the chemo are viewable. She is losing her hair, thin, and feels noxious the day of and after chemo day. Often people ask me how she is doing; oddly enough she is doing well! She began reading “Heaven” by Randy Alcorn when she first found out, and that has helped her to think of her cancer in light of eternity and being with her lovely Savior. She often talks about Heaven and the blessing it has been, and the reality of it. She still takes care of grandma, I have often made myself available to help with grandma, and I have, but she likes spending time alone with her, which is good for both of them. She drives around everywhere and loves visiting Elijah and other beloved family members. Although, she shouldn’t, and I wouldn’t let her drive off, too far.
She has grown a lot since the cancer and even before it. She began growing in leap and bounds last year. Her sins she was use to, she is now fighting to glorify God. Many people will have their own critiques of others when it comes to holiness, but I have seen my mother grow in obedience to what she knows God says in his Word. I am blessed and love her. We are both imperfect sinners, and I love how we both have to bend the knee to King Jesus.

No comments:
Post a Comment