Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Atonement of Christ - to save us from our sins (last Sunday's message)

Pierced for Our Transgressions John 3:14-18
Part 6 of 14

I. The Need for the Atonement
II. The Nature of the Atonement
III. The Motivation of the Atonement
IV. The Effect of the Atonement
V. Our Response to the Atonement

The message on Sunday was rebuking. Michael Lawrence spoke of Christ and the atonement. There were a couple of things that struck me. He said a story of his family member whom he saw recently, who stopped going to church. Michael asked him why. His family member responded that he has heard the same 30 sermons over and over again. Michael solemnly thought "no, there is just one." He explained that the cross is inexhaustible. That hit me. Sometimes I do think when the Pastor speaks of the cross "oh, this is the part I know" and yes, although, I know it and it is what has saved me, I don't grasp all of it, it's inexhaustible! Wow that is amazing. Another point Michael reflected on was when he spoke to parents (II), he said "you can't train sin out of your kids, there sin must be atoned for." That is so true. We parents, at times just care if the kids sin or don't, but at times we don't strategically discipline with the gospel. We can't train anything out of the heart, that is Christ's job alone, that is why he died. Praise God for the message!

1 comment:

helen said...

i miss you too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how is life on the other side of the nation??? i think it's time for another lengthy email update! haha. thanks for the reminder that the cross is inexhaustible and that it never gets old!!! praise God!